Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Poor Man's Mimosa Cupcakes

I wanted to try something different, so I thought what do I have in the cupboard to make a cupcake that I've not done before? I had Ginger Ale, orange juice, an orange and the usual cake ingredients. I was watching a romantic drama movie on TV and the woman was drinking a Mimosa. Then I thought; can't ginger ale replace a champagne? Sort of....this is where I got the idea to make these cupcakes. 


So I went looking for a recipe for Mimosa cupcakes, and I found several that looked good, just couldn't decide which one to use. So with all the ingredients I had, I put them all together to make my Poor Man's Mimosa Cupcakes. 
Poor Man's Mimosa Cupcakes
Not as good as a good recipe for Mimosa Cupcakes, but it would do. My husband "ordered" these cupcakes to be delivered at his employer and for Design Masters Salon & Spa here in Spencer. I got great reviews! I am surprised but happy! Next time I'll make them with champagne! Why am I calling them Poor Man's Mimosa Cupcakes? No real champagne in them makes it a poor man's dessert! 


I went to the store today to get some milk and a few other items and I found some champagne was on sale! So I will be making them this week!! Maybe even tomorrow! I know my husband loved them, so when I use the real champagne we'll see what he thinks then! 


Husband's bite! 
The best recipe that I've come across for the Mimosa cupcakes is from several sites, they're all the same recipe by different authors. I am not even sure who the originator author is or if they are the ones that created this exact recipe. Normally I don't "publish" my recipes, this one isn't mine per say so I think I can at least share part of the recipe;


3 cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup champagne
1/2 cup orange juice
3/4 cup plain yogurt
zest from 2 oranges

1. Preheat oven to 350, prepare cupcake pan with liners. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl.
3. Add orange zest, orange juice and champagne. Then add dry ingredients, mix until just combined.
4. Fill liner 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes.

For the Icing;

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups cream cheese, softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons orange juice
2 tablespoons champagne
pinch of orange zest

1. Cream butter and cream cheese until combined and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, to taste.
2. Add orange juice, zest and champagne. Mix until combined. Ice the cooled cupcakes!

No comments: